Jan 112014
 

After seeing Craig Eley’s solution to log activities using IFTTT, I thought I would clean up my mess a bit. Craig’s script does a nice job formatting the entries and nicely bypasses the Day One command line interface by creating journal entries directly. While his approach also combines activities into a single Day One entry per day, I personally prefer a separate entry for each activity. But, thanks to his example and the use of some markdown in the IFTTT recipes, my Day One entries are a lot cleaner and easier to read. Here are some before/after comparisons.

Pocket entries before…

… and after …

Last.fm entries before…

… and after …

All of my shared IFTTT recipes have been updated with the new formats and markdown. Unfortunately, you’ll have to either recreate your recipes from mine or copy the changes. As a bonus, I’ve added a recipe for Instagram.

I’ve also made significant changes to the AppleScripts executed by Hazel. I believe I’ve fixed the parsing issues and have a more reliable way to read the file date and time. I even adjust for the proper timezone!

Next up, I’ll parameterize the photo handling scripts so I would only need one for any photo service.

As always I welcome your comments (even jokes about my code are okay).

Leave a Reply