For those of you who love nostalgia, here are the release notes from GiftttDy 3.x and earlier:
Version 3.3 – 1/15/2017
- Changed return to UNIX linefeed to fix problem with markup rendering
Version 3.2 – 5/23/2015
IMPORTANT NOTE IF UPGRADING FROM A PRIOR VERSION: You must rerun the GiftttDy Configurator because a new preference setting was added. If you don’t rerun Configurator, GiftttDy won’t work and kittens may die.
- Fixed path settings to allow for new Day One Sync option.
- Fixed parsing of paths to eliminate some errors.
- Added option to have GiftttDy not bold the headings – useful if you have Day One’s option to auto-bold the first line turned on.
- Fixed problem with GiftttDy Configurator not running when launched. (I hope! Kidding! No, really. I hope…)
Version 3.1 – 3/28/2015
NOTE: If installing over a prior 3.x version, you don’t need to run the GiftttDy Configurator.
- Removed size restriction for Day One entries. New logic used in 3.0 allows for all digest data to be included in one entry. Yay!
- Switched back to script format so you can poke around in the code if you want. Just don’t break anything!
Version 3.0 – 2/1/2015
IMPORTANT NOTES IF UPGRADING FROM A PRIOR VERSION:
- I’ve made significant changes to GiftttDy’s settings and changed the name of the temporary folder. You need to remove your old Hazel rules for GiftttDy (and any rules for the GiftttDy temp folder that you may have created)
- Due to these changes, you need to run through the new setup instructions (i.e, copy the script to your Applications folder, run the GiftttDy Configurator, set up the new GiftttDy Hazel rules I’ve included.)
- If you choose to use one of the new Daily modes (Daily by Source or Daily by Time), you have to turn off (or delete) any existing Digest mode recipes you are using and switch to the new Daily mode recipes I’ve published. You can continue to use Single mode recipes alongside any of the Digest modes.
- You can view the new installation guide to understand the new process.
Changes in Version 3.0
- Changed how text is added to entries to more reliably handle special characters.
- Added detection of missing marker file so digest entries won’t fail if entry deleted from Day One.
- Added a settings section at the top of the file to make it easier to set options.
- Refactored code to streamline and enable new daily digest function.
- Added Daily mode that combines all data from a single day into one post. You can have GiftttDy group your posts by time or by service. See this post on the GiftttDy site for more information. Due to limitations on the size of a single Day One entry, if you have a lot of posts in a single day, GiftttDy will create an additional daily digest entry as needed.
- Created the GiftttDy Configurator to help configure GiftttDy settings and set up the Hazel rules.
Version 2.15 – 11/16/2014
- Added logic to escape parentheses in Day One pathname
- Added option to turn of GiftttDy tag in Day One entries
Version 2.14 – 10/21/2014
- Removed extra carriage return from digest entries
- Added logic to escape spaces in Day One pathname
Version 2.13 – 8/2/2014
- Added logic to convert ‘smart’ punctuation to plain ole stupid punctuation
Version 2.12 – 7/14/2014
- Changed formatting for digest entries
- Fixed a bug with digest marker file. The date wasn’t being converted to the local timezone.
Version 2.11 – 7/3/2014
- Fixed cross posting logic to recognize new digest mode entries.
- Added logic to delete digest marker file if an error occurred while creating the first digest entry.
- Fixed a bug in logic to prevent digest entries from growing too large.
- Added code to clean up RSS feed entries from Goodreads.
- Started adding debug logging that can be turned on and off. Default is off.
Version 2.10 – 7/1/2014
- Fixed problem with text containing quotes and apostrophes
Version 2.9 – 6/27/2014
- Fixed a problem with overrunning the size of an entry. This would cause the entry to disappear.
- Added logic to delete entry if there was an error downloading the associated photo.
Version 2.8 – 6/25/2014
- Fixed a lovely stupid mistake which prevented digest mode from working in some cases.
Version 2.7 – 6/24/2014
- Digest mode! For any service that doesn’t have photos, you can put all posts for the day in one entry.
- More refactoring of code
Version 2.6 – 6/16/2014
- Automatically find the Day One journal file location!!
Version 2.5 – 6/5/2014
- Fixed date handling to account for dates without times.
- Added check to make sure photos actually photos. Some image URLs link to things other than images.
Version 2.4 – 5/31/2014
- Added check of photo file type and convert non-JPG to JPG. Day One only likes JPG.
Version 2.3 – 5/31/2014
- Reworked date handling to properly account for international date formats.
Version 2.2 – 5/31/2014
- More fixes to iCloud so now, it should actually work.
- Renamed script in the zip file to GiftttDy rather than including version number.
Version 2.1 – 5/30/2014
- Changed code to not put New at the start of the Day One. The entire header will come from the recipe.
- Fixed error in dayonepath for iCloud users.
Version 2.0 – 5/28/2014
- Added functionality to create Day One entries directly. The Day One command line tool is no longer needed.
- Since I write directly to Day One, I can create native Day One tags, too!
- Saving photos to Day One works with any recipe that can provide a URL to a photo
- Large photos can be compressed to save space. This is configurable.
- IFTTT recipe requirements are simpler and more flexible.
Version 1.8 – 5/22/2014
- Fixed a bug with Instagram which caused infinite loop when the Instagram post did not have a caption.
- Added error handling.
- Restructured code to use handlers.
- Moved to using an external script rather than embedding within Hazel rule.
Version 1.7 – 1/21/2014
- Changed Instagram caption logic to read text in UTF8 format so international character sets work correctly.
Version 1.6 – 1/20/2014
- Updated the new Instagram code to deal with IFTTT URL shortening. So, warn your cardiologist and add shortening back to your recipes.
Version 1.5 – 1/20/2014
- Removed code that deletes temp files from Instagram processing. I’m just too chicken to delete files from anyone else’s computer. Please set up a Hazel rule to delete any files from /Users/[Your User Name]/GiftttDy that are older than one day.
Version 1.4 – 1/19/2014
- New handling for Instagram. It now captures the complete caption including hashtags. NOTE: This only works if your DO NOT use URL shortening on IFTTT. Also, I create a directory GiftttDy in your home directory to temporarily store the photo files. I clean these up when I’m done. You’re welcome. I just hope I don’t delete your entire home directory. Kidding. I think…
Version 1.3 – 1/18/2014
- Commented out testing code. Oops.
Version 1.2 – 1/18/2014
- Added logic to place #GiftttDy hashtag to entries
Version 1.1 – 1/17/2014
- Revised date handling to be able to process dates with different regional formats.
Version 1.0 – 1/16/2014
- Initial release created from separate text and photo processing scripts